Kodi is a very popular, open-source media player software application. People can watch TV shows, movies, sports, Live TV and much more for free using Kodi! Kodi app can be installed on Android devices, iOS devices and PC. ‘Kodi Add-on’ is another piece of application that can be added to Kodi software which enhances the functionality of Kodi program. Kodi add-ons act as a bridge between Kodi and media sources by streaming video/audio from the internet through Kodi player. ‘Kodi Repository’ holds multiple Kodi add-ons. Official Kodi repository will provide a list of Kodi add-ons, but there are much more add-ons available outside Kodi. These are called third-party add-ons. Collection of Kodi add-ons and Kodi repositories together is called ‘Kodi build’.
Install Kodi Add-on From Zip File
Each add-on resides at a Kodi repository. Hence, users need to install an add-on from the repository zip file. Let’s see how to install add-ons available outside Kodi.
- Step 1: At first, install Kodi app on your device. Open Kodi player and go to ‘settings (gear icon)’ option on the top left of the window.
- Step 2: A new screen will appear now. Click on the ‘file manager’ option available at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 3: Select ‘add source’ under file manager.
- Step 4: On the next screen, select ‘none’ and press ‘ok’.
- Step 5: A new window will appear asking to enter the path for media location. Here, enter URL of the repository on which add-on you want to install resides. Make sure that URL is correct and then click on ‘ok’.
- Step 6: Now, enter a name for the source file in the place provided. Provide a relevant name for the repository and then press ‘ok’. Again reconfirm URL and source file name and then click on ok.
- Step 7: Again go to Kodi player home screen and click on ‘add-ons’.
- Step 8: Click on the package installer icon located at the top left corner of the screen.
- Step 9: On a new screen, select “ install from zip file” option and search name of the source file entered earlier and click on that. The installation process will start now.
- Step 10: Once you get a notification that installation completed, go to the home page of Kodi player. Go to add-ons > package installer > install from repository.
- Step 11: Select the repository on which, add-on you want to install resides.
- Step 12: Select the category under which the add-on you wish to install comes (Under repository, you can see several categories like game add-ons, video add-ons, audio add-ons etc.)
- Step 13: Now select the add-on you want to install from the list of add-ons appear on the screen.
- Step 14: Next, click on ‘install‘. Once installation completes, a notification saying “Add-on installed‘’ will appear on the screen.
This completes the installation of a third-party add-on.
Fix “Failed to Install Add-on From Zip File” Kodi Error
Sometimes a user may receive ‘’ ]failed to install from the zip file’’ error while attempting to install the add-on from repository zip file. There are a few ways to resolve this error. Users can follow below suggestions and try to resolve this issue on Kodi.
Method 1: Enable install from unknown sources
If you are attempting to install the third-party add-on, make sure that you have enabled installation from unknown sources.
Open Kodi and go to settings > system settings > add-ons, then click on ‘unknown source’.
Unless you enable installation from unknown sources, Kodi will not permit third-party add-on installation and you will receive an error message while attempting to install.
Method 2: Clear cache
User needs to clear the Kodi cache frequently because usually cached data will be junk file which slows down your software application. Clearing cache will make Kodi browser to work effectively and install zip file without error. On your device, go to settings > application > Kodi > clear cache.
Method 3: Uninstall Kodi and re-install the upgraded version of Kodi
User can try the above two methods initially. If the issue appears again, then the user can simply update their Kodi application. Still, if the error message comes on the screen, then the user may need to uninstall the Kodi application and reinstall again.
- To uninstall Kodi, go to ‘settings’ option on your device and click on ‘Apps’ under ‘device’, then click on ‘uninstall‘ option and select ‘ok’.
- After uninstalling Kodi app and then re-install the app. Once you re-install, go to settings > applications > click on ‘clear data’. By this, you have cleared all cache data in Kodi app. Now you have to re-install all necessary add-ons once again and you may not experience any issues now.
These are the few ways to resolve ‘’failed to install from zip file‘’ error while installing add-ons on Kodi.