Kodi is a free and open-source media player software application developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. The Kodi media player is available across multiple operating systems and hardware platforms and comes with a software 10-foot user interface for plugging into televisions and remote controls. Kodi is used in playing streaming media such as videos, music, podcasts and videos from the Internet and common digital media files from local and network storage media.
Kodi was first released in 2004 as Xbox Media Center (XBMC), a media player for Xbox. The software was made for users who intended to modify their Xbox for adding more programs. After establishing its popularity, XBMC was ported to other operating systems like Windows, Linux, Apple TV and Fire TV.
In 2014, with the release of version 14, the name was changed to Kodi. From its initial Xbox days to the current version of Kodi 18.4, the software has undergone a sea change with several additions of new features and functionalities.
It is recommended to update their Kodi versions regularly to experience the latest features, patches and bug fixes.
- 1 How to Check Kodi Version on Different Devices
How to Check Kodi Version on Different Devices
In order to check their current version, users are requested to follow these steps.
Procedure to Check Kodi Version on the PC
- Launch the application
- Click the settings icon on the top left
- Click on the system information tab
- Observe the Kodi version
Process to Check Kodi Version on an Android Device
- Click the Settings icon on the home screen
- Scroll down to applications and select Kodi from the list
- Check the version information in the Kodi application setting.
Process to Check Kodi Version on an iOS Device
- On the iPhone or iPad, open tweakboxapp.com.
- Return to the home screen and open the TweakBox application.
- Tap APPS at the top of the screen and scroll down to search for Kodi
Process to Check Kodi Version on a Firestick
- Launch the Kodi application on Firestick OS.
- Click Settings to open the tab.
- Click the System Information tab. Current version information can be displayed.
Process to Check Kodi Version on Raspberry Pi
- Open Kodi menu.
- Click on the system. Once the menu opens, select System Information.
- Kodi version information along with build date can be seen.
Kodi has multiple versions, such as Leia, Jarvis, and Krypton to name a few. Krypton is the most popular followed by 18.4 Leia. There have been several revisions within Kodi version 18 to address various bugs and. This latest release has major fixes under these sections
- Missing texts
- An improved UI/UX
- Enhanced support for audio & video playback
- New Ways to control and use the Music Library
- Introduction of Live TV as a Separate (Binary) Add-on
- Support for DRM Files Within Kodi
- Windows-Specific Changes (Including Xbox One S/X)
- Android-Specific Changes (Including Android TV)
- Linux-Specific Changes
- Streaming quality and many more.
This latest version 18.4 has been officially released and is considered to be a streamlined and stable version of this software.